Thursday, June 5, 2008

"Stuff that happens to me"-Chapter 1

People always tell me I have the most random things happen to me, and it's true-I have a lot of hilarious things that come to pass. So I have decided to start keeping track of these experiences in this ongoing comedy I call life and refer to them as "Stuff that happens to me". I could probably sell the stories to a hit comedy series and become rich and famous. (Well the rich part would be nice, but I'm not so sure I'd be too interested in the famous thing). So here is Chapter 1:
STUCK IN MY CAR

(I'm writing this in the wee hours of the night, technically already making it "tomorrow" June 5th. But I'm going to write as if it's still Wednesday the 4th.)

So until my last day of work tomorrow, June 5th, I can say that I have a job which requires me to transport clients to and from places around town. Today was one of those days I was in and out of my car about ten times with different places to go and people to see. My last appointment of the day was at 4:45pm, to meet with a client and her counselor at SRS (Social and Rehabiltation Services). We had engaged in a lovely conversation on our way over, and I admit I was happy for my day to be ending, since I knew it was getting me that much closer to my last day on the job. We pulled into the SRS parking lot, I put my car into park, turned it off and realized my key was stuck. My first thought was "Tiff, are you actually in park?!"

I looked down at my gears, and sure enough, I was in park. I tried wiggling the wheel and NOTHING. I turned the car on and off multiple times and continued to try to yank the key out, but nothing was working. I even reparked the car 3 different times. I told my client to go ahead inside for the appointment and I would join the meeting as soon as possible. She left, and I immediately called my Dad. He called the Ford dealership, where he works, and told me to hold the key with one hand, while I basically beat it to death with the other hand. This still did nothing,(unless you count bruising the heel of my hand to be something). At this point, I was led to experience a great mental debate. I said to myself, "Should I just turn the key to the off position and leave it in the ignition?"- Well of course not! The key is one of those super fancy ones where the locks and everything are on the actual key.
My next thought was "Should I just turn the car off, leave the key in the ignition and go ahead and purposely lock myself out of the car?" After all, I could ask my brother to bring me my spare key to get me back into the car... but then my client would be there when my brother arrived and that would be an unethical mix of company. I wasn't really coming up with any other options and that's when I realized I was pretty much just stuck in my car for an hour until my client's meeting ended.

So there I sat, "STUCK IN MY CAR," and making the most of my hour. I listened to Kelly Urich's "Drive at 5" radio show on mix 93.3 which brought back all kinds of memories growing up here in Kansas City. I also have hand weights in my car, (don't ask) so I took the opportunity to get some weight-lifting in, and hey I even succesfully got some sun on my face. Did I mention the key is still stuck in my ignition? If my car disappears overnight, I'll know it was you!

6 comments:

Karen Ruth said...

My favorite part of this story? The hand weights. Classic.

Laura Bennion said...

Oh Tiffanie! The adventurous life you lead....

Anonymous said...

how do you like living in the world you live in? ya know, the world where super random things happen to you?

The Mercer Family said...

Weird...that's all I have to say. Man...I'm one that has locked my keys in the car multiple times...but never had it stuck in the ignition. How random...Tiff you definitely win! hehe

Camille said...

Hey! I just saw your blog link on Carrie's blog, so I added you. Do you have access to my blog?

Jenn said...

That is so funny! It is more funny since you did nothing to make it happen, you just have a crazy car. You make the best things out of some interesting situations.