Last week I had what my co-workers considered to be “partying as if it were a 5 day weekend.” Personally, I think everyday should be considered a party. That’s what makes life so much fun! Saturday & Sunday were basically full of family fun mostly due to Mother's Day, where we watched all kinds of disturbing home videos from the most retched years of my childhood. Seriously..ugh! But let’s just get to the point.On Wednesday May 7th I attended the opera “John Brown” in Kansas City, along with my parents and my brother, Kevin. How many of you know the story of John Brown, the abolitionist? Well I will avoid writing a history lesson and merely just advise you to google it if it doesn’t ring a bell. Long story short-he was a Kansas man, and pretty much the real reason the Civil War started.

So back to the opera- I took humanities classes, and we all know I love music, but I just could not get myself to appreciate this opera. Maybe it was my mood or maybe it was because I felt like I was watching an extremely overly dramatic and tragically depressing version of the musical “Oklahoma.” But two good things came out of this experience: First and foremost, Amy Gowans has strong arms. She was the whole reason we went in the first place. (Yeah right, as if my Dad would ever choose to go to an opera!) No, the real story is that Kevin’ girlfriend, Amy, is a rather incredible and professional violinist and was playing in the orchestra. She’s awesome and I learned she has really strong arms to be able to do that for 3 hours straight, meaning she could whip me in any cat fight (note to self-never arm wrestle with Amy!)-got it.
Ok and #2 I loved this line from the opera. I even got out a pen and wrote it down. “Love is Heaven’s music sent below to harmonize our souls.” think on that for a moment...…ok moving onI had been waiting for Thursday, May 8th for almost 3 months. (Since Feb 5th to be exact). Yes, it’s true! I bought tickets to see “Wicked” as soon as they went on sale. I think it was within the first hour actually. People didn’t believe me when I said I was making a countdown chain and everything, but it’s true. Just ask my friends, I really did!

For any of you that have not yet been introduced to this brilliant phenomenon that is “Wicked,” just let me know and I will convert you. Here are your options:
#1 I will sing the entire soundtrack to you, but tell you nothing about the story.
#2 I will tell you the entire story, thus ruining all of your fun.
#3 you can read the novel and wonder how on earth a book so boring could possibly be considered probably the greatest musical of this generation!
#4 You can borrow and watch my DVD of the original broadway cast performing it in NYC. Ssshhhh! (I’ll never tell you how I got that) or
#5 I will fly to London, NYC, LA, Chicago, or stalk the touring company with you to see it as many times as you would like. Some of you have probably heard the CD and you’re left thinking “what’s the big deal?


I’m telling you, once you’ve seen it, you will be hooked because the CD just makes so much more sense after you've seen it! When I saw it for the first time in LA last spring with my friend, Summer, I actually shed tears! I was 10th row in the orchestra- so close you could see the buttons on the costumes. It was amazing! This time was a different experience. Our seats were far away in the top balcony, which provided a completely different perspective and to be honest, I still don’t know what my friends really thought of it. But it doesn’t matter to me. I actually know one of the cast members in the touring company, so it was an added bonus to be able to watch him perform. Overall, it was still a magical experience, even the second time around. Will the third time be a charm? I guess I'll find out on May 24th when I go to see it AGAIN, this time with the Player women.
Friday’s festivities combined the wonderful world of music with the always enjoyable world of major league baseball. Around here, we Kansas City folk were just calling it “David Cook Day.” For any of you that may be stumped regarding the name, “David Cook,” let me know and I will call a rescue team to come and rid you of the rock you must be living under. (yes I ended the sentence with a preposition). But seriously... American Idol people, American Idol! Just suck it up and watch it (or admit that you watch it).

It’s only 4 months out of the year and I promise your social awareness and ability to have a conversation with people will greatly increase for having done it. David Cook is one of the top 3 left on this season’s American Idol and although I honestly can’t choose between him and Utah’s very own David Archuleta, I’m definitely pulling for a “Battle of the Davids” for the finale. (Sorry Syesha, you sing well, but you’re not named David). Part of me wants to pull for David Cook, just because he’s from Kansas City.
Ok so back to Friday night. My life-long friend, Matt, and I went to the Royals game to see David Cook and watch the game, and we had a blast! We started the evening with our own private tailgating party.
We parked as far away from the stadium as I think was possible, which meant only one thing for us...DANCING!

We are so crazy whenever we get together. You would seriously think we are still 10 yrs old the way we act sometimes. I grew up going to, and loving Royals games. They are so much fun, and this one was no exception. Here are the reasons why:
#8 David Cook was there to throw out the first pitch and lead us all in "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.

#7 Matt and I had our tickets up high, but we found my little brother, Jonathan and his wife, Cassie down on field level, so we declared ourselves the "seat upgrade" winners of the night and went down and joined them.

#6 Cassie didn't want the rest of her choclate malt, which meant I got the leftovers. I ate a good $2 worth of that thing!
#5 The Royals scored in the 7th inning, and although they didn't win the game, that run won me a free sundae from Sheridan's (the best frozen custard in town!)
#4 Three bats were broken during the game. MLB may want to reconsider the whole maple bat idea.
#3 As a team of 4, all in position, we succesfully caught one of the flying t-shirts tossed to the crowd

#2 Royals super fan pins were passed out. YAY! Free stuff!
#1 Friday means one thing at Kauffman Stadium..FIREWORKS!

Have I mentioned how much I love Kansas City lately?!!
10 comments:
wow! that is quite a weekend!!! I had to leave a comment because i LOVE LOVE LOVE Wicked!!!!! Can't wait for it to come to SLC next year!! Love it!!! And, I'm with you--I want a "battle of the Davids"
Maybe you could transfer all of these blogs over to the novel you will write about yourself one day. I think that could work! I would be the first one to buy that hardcover! You are such a busy lady!
Ha ha ha. You are incredible. Sorry, I forgot about the blog, so I didn't tag you. But I tag you now. Please do it!!
LOVE YOU!!
So, as a convert to Wicked (thanks to your narrative through the first Act of the soundtrack) and a huge fan of Idina and Kristin, I feel that we should watch this said DVD. I am excited.
Can I just tell you that made me so homesick!! Looks like fun and I've never even heard of Wicked, but I love broadway so tell me more!
That sounds like so much fun. I miss you guys! Tell everyone out there hello from me (and that they can absolutely view my blog if they want, just send me their email...I wish I would have waited a while to go "private" - I love catching up with my friends!)
Hope all is well! Good going with being well-rounded. That's my goal I will hopefully accomplish someday!
wow, lady, your blog is apparently very popular!! i get 2 comments if i'm lucky :/
sounds like you've had an exciting week and i'm glad your summer is nearly here!
they don't even have to be just pics of you... you could put things you enjoy or pics with friends/fam, whatev. or just pretty things like flowers and nature and stuff :)
Wow- you really caught us up on a lot! So I have to say that I am jealous because I haven't even seen Wicked yet, but it is a dream of mine! I love it! You are always going 5 million miles an hour! Good ol' Tiffany!
YAY for the royals game!!! :) And I gotta tell ya what a nerd I am...I was really intrigued by John Brown and looked him up....interesting. That's all I gotta say.
Post a Comment