So this past Sunday evening we planned an exciting Monday full of swimming at Alexis' apartment complex, followed by a yummy picnic and then set to end with the VTing message. As I was going to sleep on Sunday night, I was definitely looking forward to Monday's activities.
And then I woke up...and it was raining...and swimming was cancelled....and needless to say I was GROUCHY!! I don't know why exactly, but it was one of those ruts where I just wanted to pity myself all day, even though the reality was that nothing really was wrong.
I went to the grocery store to buy my fruit to contribute to what was now going to be an indoor picnic. I admit I was not super friendly with the produce man. In fact, I was on my phone when I walked in and when he asked me if I needed help with anything, I was quick to brush him off and shake my head no. I was so crabby! I ended my phone conversation and then paced back & forth between the already quartered watermelons and the whole watermelons, debating which was actually the better buy. The produce man could probably see my inner debate and again asked if he could help me. I quickly said, "Nope. I'm great thanks"--(Tiff, you LIAR! Even the produce guy can see you're a horrible faker). The reality was, that at this point, I didn't even care about prices. I was so busy being a brat, pouting in my head, that my brain wasn't even computing the numbers.
It is also usually at this point that I realize I'm being a jerk and I start to tell myself to shake it off. That was about the same time Mr. Produce man came up to me once again and said "I want to make sure you get a good watermelon, Can I help you pick it?" All I could think was "Wow-good guy." I took a deep breath, smiled and said, "Sure."
Well all I can say is that the produce man at Dillon's on 6th & Lawrence St was probably the most excited person I've ever seen when it comes to produce. After knocking on a couple of melons, he finally found one that sounded hollow enough to satisfy him. I couldn't help but laugh when he thumped on the melon, then thumped on his own head and said "Yep, they both sound pretty hollow."
It felt good to laugh. I think I was actually still laughing when I got to Alexis' house. We had a great time. Here's our yummy spread. (Yes, fresh pineapple too)
PS... I called Dillon's later and asked to speak to a manager. You can only imagine the shock when I wanted to leave an employee compliment, rather than an employee complaint. I encourage us all to do that more often.
3 comments:
Thanks for remembering the spreadable swiss, which was basically the best part of the meal. Either that, or the part where I threw a carefully prepared chicken breast fillet onto the floor. Good times.
Ok...apparently mine wasn't telling me you had updated either! hmmm...I've got some reading to do. ;)
Tiffanie I am glad you found our blog. I just started it. Sounds like you have had a busy summer. Hope all is going well. Lisa
Post a Comment