Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Opposition in all things-Chapter 1

So it's that time again...you know, where I get to rattle off my thoughts here to the computer and assume that other people are reading them. So other than writing about my brother's wedding and giving a two week play-by-play of my happenings when first arriving in Utah, I've been told by some close friends that I seem to be "holding back," if you will. Well here goes nothing:

I have recently experienced the importance of opposition in my life.
I've decided to share just a few examples lately of how and why. I decided I will write them as a series (to keep you all in "suspense"..or to avoid from having one amazingly long post)

Chapter 1: "Being in the world, but not of the world"
I've heard that phrase all of my life and I've often contemplated its meaning for me personally. I believe it is up to each individual to assess their life circumstances and define its meaning in their own life.

A couple of Fridays ago I went to Temple Square to meet up with my long-time friend, Bill, and see the "Reflections of Christ" exhibit. www.reflectionsofchrist.org
(It was fantastic, by the way!)

As I was walking from my car to go meet Bill, I became curious (as well as concerned) by the bustling commotion I could hear growing as I approached Temple Square. I rounded a corner and suddenly it was as if I had stepped into a bizarre movie scene. I've been to Temple Square probably close to a hundred times in my life and I have always felt a sense of peace and tranquility there. Well not this time... Wow! Little did I know that thousands were swarming downtown to march past the temple and church headquarters, to protest the passing of California's Proposition 8. Now, I'm not going to use this post to express my personal opinion of Proposition 8 because I think still talking about it is starting to become like beating a dead horse, however, I will share my experience that evening of what happened to me on the inside while there was extreme chaos on the outside. It actually ended up being a great experience. I had just had a pretty amazing week, spiritually, for a lot of different reasons and believe it or not, the protesters actually added to it. Temple Square had been closed, obviously, so Bill and I had to bravely enter the "protest zone," to get to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building for the exhibit.
(See the picture?...YES! I walked into THAT, and I did so confidently, smiling, unafraid, and in no way feeling "shame on me" for being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)

Bill and I smiled kindly at the security officials guarding the reflection pool area, and since it was obvious we were harmless, they let us through. The Joseph Smith Memorial Building is one of the only church-owned buildings with public access to the street (not surrounded by the walls of Temple Square), and believe me, the protesters definitely were taking advantage of it. The common theme was "DISRUPT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE." Horns honking, megaphones blaring, fists and signs beating against the doors as they'd march by, or the "courageous" few who would open the doors and yell slanderous profanities inside- all popular and typical behaviors of any protest. It was crazy to say the least, however, as I stood there and viewed the beautiful photographs portraying the life of Jesus Christ, I was struck by the symbolism of it all. I was watching the introduction video for the exhibit,and suddenly it hit me.

How often in life is the world screaming at us? Do we allow others to affect our overall satisfaction in life? Do we base our happiness on how others view us, treat us or judge us? It became very apparent to me that it was my choice to either focus my attention on the art exhibit I had come to experience, or to allow my evening to be ruined by the protest. I loved the exhibit and I suddenly realized the true power that comes to each of us in the battle against the adversary as we devote our lives and focus (or in this case "reflect") on the Savior, Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Krystal Trapnell said...

What a contrast that must have been. Powerful experience!

It's been amazing to me to see protesters claiming that we are full of hate because we want marriage to stay between men and women, yet they are the ones yelling and screaming and showing a lot of hatred toward the church. Interesting...

Andrea said...

That was a super blog..I kind of fel like I needed to hear/read that. You have such wonderful insight on things and I miss hearing your stories. I hope all is well!

BBC said...

great post tiffanie... the set up does seem quite ironic given the circumstances! :) that looks like a beautiful exhibit!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post my friend. I've been struggling with this very item for the last few days (not prop 8, but the of the world, in the world thing)and it's great to be able to read your blog and get some help from it. I miss your face. You should bring it back this way sometime. Ok? Cool.