(if anyone can name the play/musical that song is from, I will write a special blog dedicated to you just to rave about how cool you are.-Any takers?)
So it all started a couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday (Nov 11th) with a sore throat--as usual. Swallowing was painful, and I was constantly thirsty. I knew I was getting sick. Dang it!

I increased my water intake,

I started taking Airborne in the mornings (Pink grapefruit is my favorite) and I tried to go to bed earlier than usual. (keyword... TRIED).
It continued the next day, and the next, adding one symptom on to another, including exhaustion. I was doomed, and I knew it. By Friday morning (the 14th) people thought I was just really emotional because my eyes would not stop watering. I had one nostril congested and the other so busy running, you'd think it was training for the Boston marathon. Here's the worst part-For 2 days, all I had to stop the drippage were paper towels. OUCH! Sores started to form in the area under my nostrils, which made the whole situation even more painful.
I had plans to go to St. George with some people in the new ward and I had been looking forward to the opportunity to get to know some people better. The rides were arranged and everything, but in the hours just before I was to leave Friday evening, things took an intense turn to UNBEARABLE! I was in a meeting at work and honestly felt like a complete zombie. The pressure in my head had convinced me that for sure my sinuses were going to explode at any moment. I get frequent migraines, so it wasn't pain like that, but the intense pressure was remarkably uncomfortable. I left work and knew there was no way I could make the almost 5 hour drive to St. George comfortably, nor would I be able to enjoy myself socially. So, sadly, I decided not to go.
Katie, a girl in my new ward found out I was sick and quickly was texting me to inquire of my symptoms and needs and how she could be of help to me--soup? blankets? medicine?. At first, I declined her offer, but then I went to wipe my nose and I was painfully reminded, "These paper towels are killing me!" I humbled myself and asked if she'd bring me some soft tissues...VOILA!-They were at my door within about 20 minutes. THANK YOU KATIE!!

Oh the relief!
So that was Friday. Things pretty much remained the same, or worse for the next couple of days and I was thoroughly disappointed that instead of doing this with my friends,
and watch "The Office." So that was exactly what I did, (along with catching up on about a month's worth of "Heroes" episodes online.
I wasn't getting better. Instead, I was just starting to get annoyed. On Tuesday night (the 18th) I almost passed out during the recreation therapy group I was running at the boys group home. Luckily my office is in that building as well, so I simply walked away from the kids and said "Uhh..give me a minute." I decided to rest for a second. What is it about putting our head on our desk that somehow magically makes us feel better? I think it's something subconsciously brainwashed into us starting in elementary school. It's miraculous!

I went home right away (at about 730pm), walked into my bedroom and fell onto my bed and was OUT! My phone alarm went off about an hour later to remind me about a meeting I had at 915pm. I made a phone call to reschedule. I got up to take out my contacts, brush my teeth, put on the PJs and then I went straight to sleep at about 845pm. Speaking of opposition-THAT is the complete opposite of me!!!
Amazingly enough, I woke up the next morning and felt rested, less frustrated and a little better. Things started to improve in the next couple of days. I could actually breath again.
As for the most current health update. My energy is back, and I feel overall fine. I still have to keep tissues close by and the itching in my eye hasn't gone away. In fact-today I'm wearing my glasses because my right eye was bright red and burning last night and all day today. It will be a great day when I'm 100% again. But like I said before, "...You've got to be sick, to be grateful for your health."



5 comments:
I hope you feel better today. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you come our way soon so we can hang out.
It's My Turn on Earth!
Wa hoo!
Happy Thanksgiving!
So glad you're feeling better!! Man, what a miserable week you had!
I've only seen that play once, 8 1/2 years ago. It was a bad VHS copy of an old BYU production.
"It's my turn...It's my turn...It's myyyyyy tuuuurn on earth!"
I'm sorry that you've been sick my friend, super bummer. But I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. I miss your guts a ton! Bring them back to Kansas, asap. Please.
Post a Comment