Back in the Spring, I started a section on my blog called "Stuff that happens to me." This could somewhat fall into that category, I think. It's another 2 part story, so I'll go through the background now and then share part 2 in the days to come.
So let me fill you in on the story.. It happened about a month ago. As a county employee, there is a "Healthy Lifestyles" program available to us. Basically, it works like this: Attend pre-program exam, track healthy habits for a year (exercise, routine medical exams, make nutrition goals, seat belt usage, etc) and then attend the end of year exam to "weigh in." If I've earned a certain amount of points for doing those things during the year, I receive a reimbursement check paying me for maintaining a "Healthy Lifestyle." I figured I might as well get involved, especially since I'll end up getting paid to do something I should be doing anyway, right?!
So I attended the pre-exam. Let's just say I walked away laughing, annoyed, and convinced there had been some sort of mistake! They asked the normal medical history questions, then went on to test my cholesterol, blood pressure, height, weight and my BMI (Body Mass Index). For anyone who is not familiar with BMI, It is defined as "A number calculated from a person’s weight and height. BMI is a reliable indicator of body fatness for people." Well on that note--feel free to check this out and play around with it for yourself. BMI
So all of my results were just fine, EXCEPT my BMI. The woman asked if I could touch my fingers together when grabbing my wrist, and then she did some funky measuring with a ruler around my elbow. Next I had a suction poky thing on my bicep and next thing I knew, I was being told that my BMI was almost 32%. How is that even possible when I had just been weighed and came in 5 pounds less than I thought I weighed?! It's not as if I've suddenly grown either. My height hasn't changed since I was 13 years old. And what was with all the wrist grabbing, suction cup ruler measurement mumbo jumbo?! According to that website, the BMI calculation process is pretty cut & dry. My BMI should be 22%. I knew 32% sounded way too high for anything I had ever measured before, however, when I pointed out what I assumed to be an error to the woman giving the test, she had that look on her face as if she had heard this debate before. Her response was "Well honey, at least it'll give you something to work on." I was speechless (for once in my life).
To be honest, even though I am about 99% sure it was an error, it still made me feel bad. I decided rather than staying mad and bitter about the whole thing, I would do something about it. I figure when it comes time for the end of year exam, one of two things will happen. #1 The error will be discovered and corrected and I'll get money for it. (I call this option "emotional compensation") or #2 If by some bizarre chance it wasn't an error, my year's worth of hard work will pay off when I will have lowered my BMI on my own...oh! and I'll get money for it! So really, either way is a win-win situation. SUCKAS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
=/ Yeah.. I'm not going to worry about that but anyhoo, that is.. weird, i guess... LOL!!!!
I HEART YOU!!
bmi isn't the least bit accurate. unfortunately, it's used for oh,.... just about everything. patrick is overweight according to it and can you tell me where on HIM the fat is? haha. ok, his butt. but how do you lose butt? :p lol good luck!
You are not 32% BMI. There is no way!!!!! It has to be an error! Or she doesn't know what she is talking about. Maybe you just need to start exercising those wrists!
Post a Comment