Sunday, December 28, 2008

Who would've thought?!...Part 2

To follow up with my post about my BMI situation...Other than the fact that I am convinced it was an error, I decided to join Gold's gym. I know, I know. I gave in to the man and spent the big bucks to get myself into better shape. I joined Gold's gym back while I was at BYU and it ended up being a HUGE waste of money because I rarely went. Well, I am determined this time to get my money's worth!

It seemed like everyone I talked to was a member of Gold's gym, especially the people in my ward. My roommates went regularly and I decided it would be a good time to join with such positive peer pressure around to influence me. So far, so good. So this is when the "Who would've thought?" part comes in...

#1 It's a shocker in itself that I'm willing to suck it up and actually exercise to the point of being out of breath and sweating. What a kick in the pants! I've always been rather lucky to have a good metabolism, along with being naturally hyper and active, so I've just gotten "my fill" that way-through daily life. Sadly, I recognize that I AM getting older and therefore I should start putting some effort into taking care of myself.

#2 Would you believe my workouts have been starting either at 5:30am or 6:00am and last for an entire hour. I know! I can't believe it either! My roommate brought me along for a 5:30am Monday morning weight lifting class and I liked it, so I've continued with it. Once I discovered how nice it was to start my day at the gym (and get the torture OUT OF THE WAY), I decided the early morning thing is what I like best. So I am up and at it by 6am five days a week.

I knew being home in Kansas for Christmas was going to throw me out of my groove, and one day, I even had that "I need to exercise" feeling. In fact, I got to the point that I finally went to my brother's house and used his treadmill for an hour and then played the Wii Fit.-Good times.

So I guess this is where I confess my deep dark secret...I actually am starting to enjoy exercising! (Ahh what have I become?!) Luckily there is enough variety in working out, that I can mix it up and I'm not always stuck running (something I do not and have never enjoyed!). Like I said before..."Who would've thought?!"

2 comments:

Cougarg said...

I had a companion in CA that went from 300 to under 180 in about a year and a half. Granted he broke a lot of mission rules to accomplish that feat. I only had him for 2 weeks before he went home. We would go in the mornings to a nearby track so he could go running. I would jog for about 1/4 of a mile, and then just watch him as he ran and ran and ran. One of the things he said was that when he started out, he absolutely hated it. But he had some motivation that kept him going anyways. And at some point he made that transition from hating to workout and run to loving it.

The times that I have tried to work out, I have wanted to make that transition, but I've petered out before that set in. Any excuse not to go is good enough. Way to go in staying with it!

Jenn said...

I love variety. And it's always better to run with a friend (like those cross country days) :), I never do it along.