"I was tossing and turning a bit tonight. I guess I have a few things on my mind...one of them was paying the bills, and the other was constantly pricking the back of my mind ever since I first heard about it earlier this evening. We got an email talking about the HBO's plans to portray the LDS temple ceremony on an upcoming episode of "Big Love". The words "Father forgive them for they know not what they do" come to mind to say the least. Regardless of how many emails we send to HBO exhorting them to think twice about what they are doing, I doubt it will really sink in as far as the depth of how inappropriate it would be to naively portray something that is basically one of the most sacred spiritual experiences that basically anybody can have aside from death itself.
Although resistance is probably futile, it doesn't hurt to try--but rather than thinking of a way to try and keep the inevitable from happening, I found myself thinking of ways that I could answer the likely questions that my friends and co-workers are going to have after they watch it.
I have no idea how tastefully they'll be able to portray the ceremony, but I'm assuming it will be something relative to stripping down the pope and throwing him into the middle of the Olympics Opening Ceremonies...regardless, people are probably going to think it's weird just because of the sheer unfamiliarity of it.
So how about we try to familiarize people with it when they ask us questions about it...Ask them things like:
"Have you ever participated in or attended a private ceremony:
- That was exclusive to members of an organization and by invitation only
- That involved 2 or more prayers
- That required years of self-sacrifice, diligence, humility, hard work, and submitting to other human beings in order to be judged and found worthy of participation
- That involved ritualistic actions by the participants including wearing a ceremonial robe, hat, sashes, and
- That also involved synchronized, ritualistic actions where the participants adjust their articles of clothing all at the same time and in the same manner.
- That involved them wearing the clothing and performing the actions even though they probably didn't have the least bit of understanding as to what the clothing or actions represented except that it was part of the ceremony.
- That involved valuable advice and instruction from elders regarding what those participating have experienced and about the experiences they'll have in their life to come?
If they answer "NO" to any or all of these questions, ask them this:
"Did you ever attend or participate in a High School/College graduation?"
13 comments:
First off, I can't believe HBO is doing that...well I can, but I don't want to.
Second off, very very well put :)
Johnathan is so good at responding to this. I give him props, and I agree completely.
you were so right. he's a good writer, and very well put.
I like that comparison - great job Tiffanie's Little Brother!
That's fantastic. Also, the Church posted a really great article about the whole thing in the newsroom on lds.org. It's fantastic.
Very Good Point! I'll have to remember that one!
Although--not all graduation ceremonies begin and end with prayer.
Mary P.
very well done. who is this little brother of yours and where can i get one? good job dude and here here!
Really well said. Impressive. I love the analogy to the HS Graduation!
Love you Tiff!
Kira
thebusybarkerfamily.blogspot.com
Agreed. I posted about it on my blog, too, and linked to the church Newsroom article.
I love that! ha hahahahah.
Amen.
Also really helpful because I am pretty sure that my coworkers will have questions after watching it, but don't know whether or not they'll approach me with them. Tell your bro thanks.
WOWOWOWOWOWOW~ What an answer! That's amazing! Thank you for that.
Thank you too for commenting at Musings...I hope you'll register as a follower if you haven't already. I send all my followers comp CD's of "With Mine Own Hand" -- just email me your address. I was so happy to see you in Provo darling. What a TREAT!!!!! I'll be back in April and would love to do lunch.
Love,
Mona
Wow! Neat! What a good comparison!
Good Job Tiffanie's little bro. Thanks for posting it!
Bri Zabriskie
Post a Comment