Shari is married to Adam. He is great! Infact, how many guys would sign themselves up to travel with three girls?

Shari, Adam, my BFF (Summer), and I went to Europe together for two weeks in the Spring of 2007. That was a GREAT trip! Adam & Shari like to travel. (So do I). A couple of months ago Shari and I were casually talking and the conversation turned to us talking about places we'd like to go sometime. We rattled off this place and that... and suddenly it was like magic. I heard Shari say the word "Nauvoo," and I immediately got so excited and started making plans for us. So off we went last week during Adam's Spring break...
On Thursday morning, we all flew to Kansas City, of course. We had a quick lunch with my parents in my hometown (Olathe, Kansas) and went to the family favorite-Oklahoma Joe's BBQ (of course). They have the best ribs! Then we were off to Nauvoo, Illinois!!
My brother, Kevin, is still in India, so we borrowed his car. Long story short, it broke down in Cameron, Missouri. Luckily we were only a little over an hour into our journey. My Dad is a rock star and said we should keep going and he would go pick the car up with a trailer the next day. Thanks, Dad!!
We called Enterprise car rental and they picked us up, just like their commercials say. No major harm done! We were still excited and happily arrived in Nauvoo late Thursday night. We stayed at the Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites.

I've stayed lots of places in Nauvoo, but this hotel has a special place in my heart. I first stayed there back when I was 16 and my friends (my "first love") came up from Florida to visit and we took a little trip to Nauvoo together. It's also where my family stays when we go up for the pageant and let's not forget when I was there for 2 weeks this past summer and EFY took over the hotel--All good memories!
It was absolutely wonderful to be there again! I love Nauvoo for so many reasons. This was my 13th trip to that beautiful town that sits quietly there on the banks of the Mississippi River and I never stop loving it. I always learn something new each time I go. Even with all of my world-wide traveling, it continues to be my favorite place on earth!
We spent Friday & Saturday touring all of the sites at our leisure and because it is the "off season," it wasn't crowded at all. We felt like we had the whole town to ourselves. The senior couple missionaries at all of the sites were so excited to have us there and we were able to chat casually and see so many things with pretty much zero stress. We had an agenda, of sorts, but it was more a guideline of logical routes to take so we could see things most efficiently. Good thing I know the town so well-No map was needed.
In a matter of two days:
*We went to the shops along Mulholland St. in "downtown" Nauvoo and enjoyed the famous town buffet at Hotel Nauvoo. We definitely found plenty of time to go to the Nauvoo Fudge Factory, (of course). I always spend lots of money on all kinds of yummy goodness there. but who can resist buying treats like these?!:


*We took the Community of Christ (RLDS) tour of the Smith Homestead, the Nauvoo House, the Mansion House, The Smith Cemetery and the Red Brick Store (where the Relief Society was organized and where the endowment ordinance began).
*We toured the Seventies Hall (the first MTC) and also went to the homes of Lucy Mack Smith, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Sarah Granger Kimball, Heber C. Kimball and Brigham Young. (It was my first time to Sarah Granger Kimball & Heber C. Kimball's homes-I suggest you click on those links and read a bit about them-very cool people!!)
*We visited the shops of historic old Nauvoo- the Browning gun shop, the Lyon drugstore, the print shop and the Pendelton Schoolhouse. We received our free homemade cookie at the Scovil Bakery, a free Nauvoo brick at the brickyard, and my personal favorite has always been the trip to the Webb Blacksmith shop where we watch one of the missionaries make a mini horseshoe
and everyone receives their own "Prairie Diamond" ring.

*We went to the Temple accomodations center and watched the video they had made to be shown at the Nauvoo Temple Open House. I love it! (It's one of those "best kept secrets" that a lot of people don't know exists)... Well, now you do.
*We went to the temple for an endowment session and did sealings afterwards as well. My Mom and Dad have stayed busy working on family history and sent us with family names, which was cool when I recognized the names were for people as closely related as my great-grandparents.

I love the Nauvoo Temple! It's beautiful in so many ways!! (Especially when you walk out of the temple and see this outside waiting for you):

It pretty much takes your breath away, huh!?!
*We saw the senior couple missionaries perform in the show "Rendezvous in Nauvoo" at the Historic Cultural Hall. It was absolutely hilarious with fun songs and a witty script!

*We spent some time at the Visitor's Center and watched the movie "Joseph Smith-Prophet of the Restauration." (I cry every time) and we breezed quickly through the "Monument to Women" garden.
*We visited the groves where the prophet, Joseph Smith, gave sermons such as the King Follett discourse. (In the summer time, they do a vignette there in the groves and the pageant actor who portrays Joseph Smith actually recites the discourse from memory. It's AMAZING!)
*We went to the quarry where the stone for the original Nauvoo temple had been cut from & hauled to the temple site by the early pioneers.

* We went to Carthage to visit the Jail where Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum, were martyred.

*We went to the Pioneer Cemetery and ended our time in Nauvoo Saturday evening by going to the exodus site on the Mississippi River at the end of Parley Street. President Gordon B. Hinckley once said walking Parley Street to the exodus site is something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. I have been blessed to have been able to do it many times. It is where I go to smile, to think, to pray, to reflect and often to write. I have many fun and personal stories as to why I love the exodus site so much and I can truly say it is my "happy place".
We arrived back in Kansas at my parent's house Saturday night. On Sunday, we went to church and then headed to the Independence visitors center to learn more about the history of the church in Missouri and then we went to Liberty Jail, which are both not too far from where I grew up.
Sunday evening, my brothers came over and we had a rambunctious family dinner, as always. I love those people! I think my favorite part was watching Adam & Shari sit back and try to keep up with all the chaos.
Monday morning we headed out quite early hoping for any flight out of Kansas City since most things were looking overbooked. We were able to get on a flight to Atlanta and spent the day there, patiently waiting for our standby flight to Salt Lake City to work out. It did, (like always) and we were back in Salt Lake by 830pm that night...a pretty much perfect vacation ending all too soon.
9 comments:
Your vacations always sound so fun! It is my goal in life to make it to Nauvoo! I don't know when it will happen, but it will!
I don't want to sound jealous, but...I'm jealous! I also LOVE the temple accommodations center movie (favorite) and the HCK home is my fave. And I could navigate without a map there too. And when are we going to Nauvoo? Justin and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to go back. Well, maybe I speak only for "i" but you get the picture.
Looks like SUCH a fun trip! Glad it all worked out :)
ive only been to Nauvoo once. it was during the walk throughs, so you couldn't get a ring or a brick. I was a little sad
When you put it that way, I can't believe how much we did! ;) I LOVE OUR TRIPS!!!! However, whenever we get home, I start looking around for you to share a funny joke or comment.... can you come live with us? ;)
looks like you had a wonderful time!
Wow, looks like it was a short, but comprehensive trip to Nauvoo. Much of those items looked unquestionably familiar. Way to take it all in!
mmmm...i want fudge now. how many timer do u plan to go before u die? amazing though. its a beautiful city=]
Super random and crazy that we were there the same weekend...and sad that we didn't know it. We stayed one night in the Nauvoo house and I was in the Temple 2 different days. We probably even passed each other at some point. Maybe next time. :)
Post a Comment