Saturday, May 9, 2009

Flashing back... part 2

Sorry for the delay. I know we're flashing back to March at this point, but it's just now getting to where I actually don't mind writing about it.

On the morning of Sunday March 29th, my lifelong best friend, Matt, lost his Mother, Barbara Ellett.
Matt had done a beautiful job with the set-up/decorations for the viewing. Because his Dad had passed away in 2002, Matt already knew how his Mom wanted things for a viewing. (Not to mention she had been in the stake relief society presidency for 10 years, 7 of which she was the president until just a couple of years ago.) It was something she had often done for others, and was really good at it too! I'm sure she would have been proud of Matt's work. It was good to see Matt & his sister, Heather. I was amazed as I would watch them. Matt was awesome. He graciuosly greeted everyone with hugs, a smile, laughter and expressions of sincere gratitude for them being a part of his Mom's life.



Thursday was the actual funeral. It was amazing! I was honored to be invited as a "family member" to participate in the family prayer and sit with the family during the service. Matt only has the one older sister, and only a couple of aunts and uncles made it out to Kansas, so it was really special to be able to "join the family" for the day. I'm grateful Matt and I were able to share that experience together. Matt spoke, paying a beautiful tribute to his Mom and the whole thing was just perfect.

After the funeral, we had a luncheon at the Linebacks house. (Who had been Matt & his Mom's hometeacher for many years). With over 100 pictures taken throughout everything, this is the only one I'm actually in. (Matt and I are talking to his aunt & uncle at the luncheon). Matt and I got a good laugh at my "absence" from the camera, and call this one PROOF that I really was there.


I was supposed to fly back out to Salt Lake that afternoon, but Matt asked me if it'd be possible for me to stay another day and help him around the house with some things. What a blessing to fly standby-of course, I stayed to help.

Friday, we spent the whole day at the house getting flower arrangements organized to be dried, running errands, and all kinds of ins & outs that go along with a funeral. It was a perspective I've never experienced before (and hope to not have to see for a VERY VERY long time!). But it was still a day full of lots of laughter, and teasing to go with it. (it wouldn't be Matt & Tiffanie if he didn't give me a hard time about SOMETHING). I love that guy!

Saturday, Matt & Heather headed to Utah, I stayed in Kansas an extra day to spend some time with my parents, and then flew back to Salt Lake on Sunday afternoon, immediately driving to Logan, UT that evening to attend the next day's burial.

Monday- We had a short service at the funeral home, then headed to the cemetery, where Matt spoke one more time, we sang a hymn and then dedicated the grave. The whole day was beautiful! The weather was PERFECT as well! Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day.



We had another luncheon afterwards, and it was so fun for Matt and me to have Bishop Crockett there with us. (He was our Bishop back when we were youth in the Olathe 3rd ward).

I really love the headstone, especially where it has Matt & Heather as their "children forever."



The whole week (and week/months after) have been a bittersweet reminder to me of the beauty and precious nature of life, family and love. I am grateful for having Matt in my life since we were 7 yrs old and for our friendship through the good, the bad, the happy and sad.

4 comments:

Amander said...

Matt sounds like an amazing person. And you are a good friend. Glad you were able to be there with each other through that difficult time.

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing. it's heartbreaking to hear. I didn't know about their Dad passing.
They were always great people as I remember them.

Adam and Shari Crawford said...

Ah, Tiff. You are amazing. AND an fabulous friend. Love you tons, girl.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.