Thursday, May 21, 2009

Age doesn't matter-part 2

In the months after my 4 days in England, Debbie and I remained friends. We sent packages back & forth to each other with American or English goodies and we stayed in touch through email and instant messenger. Within a few months, Jazz had started dating someone (his now wife, Rohaise) and before too long, my friendship and communication with Debbie was closer and more frequent than with her brother.
*FLASHBACK*
A year later, Debbie came to visit Utah in July 2007. She came to attend BYU's Young Ambassadors camp for a week in Provo. Once that ended, Debbie and I hit the open road together...well the open air was more like it. We flew to Kansas City and stayed with my family for a couple of days. We took her to her first major league baseball game at Royals stadium, providing her with quite the "All American" experience (hot dog and all!)
We visited the local church history sites in the Missouri area.

Then went to Nauvoo, IL with my parents to see the Nauvoo pageant.

From Kansas City, our next stop was supposed to be Palmyra, NY to meet up with my brother, Kevin, who had already arrived there on a flight. The standby game, however, didn't work out so well for Debbie and me that time. We spent an entire day in the Kansas City airport trying to get out, and it just wasn't happening. So long story short, Kevin ended up touring the sites in upstate New York alone (sad), while Debbie and I changed our plans and headed straight to New York City instead. We stayed with a friend of mine from BYU and made our way around NYC, doing all of the normal touristy things.(Empire State building, Central park, Broadway, etc)

Eventually we went to see a Broadway musical (our main purpose for going to NYC). We saw "The Drowsy Chaperone." We both agreed it was witty and well written, but as far as Broadway MUSICALs go-we rated it as just "ok."

Deb returned to England directly from NYC. We stayed friends throughout the whole year (thanks to facebook), and in the fall of 2008 Debbie moved to Provo to attend BYU as a freshman!

Throughout this past school year, I'd make frequent stops to Deb's place in Provo (Sometimes we had tickets to see a show together, but usually I'd pop in for the most random and unplanned reasons). Bottom lne-we have always remained great friends! When people see us together, no one would ever know we're 10 years different in age. I'm not sure which of us is credited for acting older or younger than we are, but I'd say we meet well in the middle and ALWAYS have fun together. (and so far, our actual ages STILL haven't mattered).

Well, being the traveling team that we are, it has been my goal to be the one to "show Deb America." So for her 19th birthday back in December, I told her I wanted to be the one to take her to Disneyland for her first time. We were both excited, but the timing for both of us to go didn't work out until May. The month of May finally arrived and away we went!

3 comments:

Amander said...

Your hair was so long!

Debbie sounds like a great friend.

Jaymie Quigley said...

Too Cool. Have a blast at EFY next week!!! You look amazing by the way!

Merilee said...

First off, I fixed the spelling of your name in my blog shout out, sorry about that.

Second, what a happy story! I love the friendships that crop up so unexpectedly everywhere you go. Age really doesn't matter. I try to tell my little sister Bonnie this every day.