As many of you know I was in Salt Lake City all last week (May 17-23). Now some might ask why on Earth I would spend a week's vacation going to a city I lived near for...(well 1998-2007, minus the mission...whatever that is)...many years! Ummm yeah. When I was initially invited, I had asked myself the same question, but after accepting the invitation and going, I have to tell you-it was an amazing experience! I can't even begin to explain how much I loved being there.(Take note that I said I was in SLC and not Provo!) It still seems so bizarre to me, because other than the mountains and having frequent David Archuleta conversations,
I honestly forgot I was even in Utah half the time. It just seemed like everyday I was super happy and excited to wake up with energy and anticipation of what new and exciting adventures the day would bring us. In fact, I would dare say it was probably one of the best trips I've ever been on, possibly even topping last spring's trip to L.A. with Summer... (and that's saying something for all my crazy traveling I've done.) So what made it so great?! call me and I'll tell you all about it. So now let's talk about the concept of TIME. I have 3 thoughts about it:
#1 Time passing, #2 Timing and #3 How to spend your time
#1 I feel like time goes by really slowly, especially today at work where I know it's my last Friday at this job and I have nothing to do. I've realized whenever I'm looking forward to something, time seems to go by really slowly. Why is that? Whenever I'm having fun, however, time seems to sprint past me. I don't like that.
#2 I have had more than a handful of circumstances in my life that constantly remind me that I DO NOT control the timing of things in my life. This time, last year, I don't think I could have creatively imagined that my life would be the way it is today. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing to complain about by any means, but it's just so interesting where the wind blows me.

I can honestly say that it sure seems like since being "blown home" to Kansas last fall, the winds of my life have really picked up! (and I'm not just talking about the local tornado weather...although both experiences are equally fun!) I've decided one of my new goals is to stop being such a planner. You're laughing right now, aren't you?! When it comes to sorting through the calendar in my brain, both past & present, I'm a genius! The bad part, however, is that I can't see the future and therefore I can only plan ahead so far. I used to play the "A year from now..." game, but it was always pointless. So I've decided to settle for the "Hopefully, by the end of the summer...," game and be content with that. I received a pretty nifty promise from my bishop in the blessing when he set me apart last sunday. I love being reminded how much my Heavenly Father knows me on such a personal level!
#3 Facebook, blogging, gchat, writing emails, cell phone, texting...technology has taken over my life!!! Part of me is definitely ok with that! (especially when I have people that I love who are far away from me), but this past week I have become slightly obsessed with DDR. I guess that could still fall under the "technology" category, but wow is it fun! I admit my motives in playing so often did not start because of exercise or pleasure in any way. In fact, I am slightly ashamed to admit my initial motives were not innocent at all, rather quite competitive. Interestingly enough, it's turned into fun and now I look forward to pouring sweat every night! The only problem now is that the competition is against myself.


I feel obligated to score on each song that much higher than the score I earned the time before. Last night this went on for 2 hours. Would this be considered spending my time wisely? Exercise, personal goal-setting/self-improvement, social interaction.....yeah sure. Why not say it's time well spent?!
2 comments:
You're so clever. I loved this post. And we were checking our mail because we were gone all weekend, although I have been known to check mail on July 4, December 25, etc. Can't wait for you to be back here!! :)
love it. oh so fun.
Post a Comment