Hello everyone! So the brackets obviously indicate that I took some creative liberties and changed a line from one of the classic primary songs that I wouldn't be surprised to find out the kids don't learn anymore. (Such a shame!)-Summer, do something about that, please.
So what HAVE I been up to here in the blessed land of Salt Lake City?! Let's just say when I returned from Sacramento on Dec 2, I don't think I had any idea just how much fun I would be having December 2008. I have been so busy! But it's been a fun busy (which is usually the case in my life).
I love the Christmas season in Kansas City. There is something magical in the air there. I don't know what it is exactly. But maybe it's because that's where I used to look out into that same bitter, I can't feel my nose, freeze your face off cold air and frantically search the night's sky for Santa's sleigh. Aww the Christmases of my childhood were so fun!
I don't think I realized how much I missed and loved Christmas time in Kansas City until last year when I was living there again. The lights of the Plaza, ice skating at Crown Center, Kevin's White elephant extravaganza, a drive down Christmas Card Lane, my family, etc ..all reminded me of what I had been missing out on all those years while I was in Provo.


So now I'm back in Utah, and can I just say I have definitely found my fair share of holiday fun around here this year! It's been amazing! I'm going to have to break this into 2 different posts for each half of the month because it's been THAT busy!
Here's a quick look at how I've filled my December calendar so far:
Thurs Dec 4th
In the daytime, I went on a field trip "for work" to see "The Nutcracker"-(tough job, I know). I LOVED it! (As usual)

Thurs Dec 4th
That same evening, I went to the Utah Festival of Trees with a group of people from the ward. It's a beautiful Utah tradition. I got a little choked up as I wandered around and saw what families had created "in memory" of their loved ones.

Sat. Dec 6th-
In the afternoon, "For work," I attended the onstage dance production of -"It's a Wonderful Life"- It was SO COOL!

(This is Violet-for anyone who doesn't know the story). In my opinion, if you are not familiar with this story you #1 should repent, and #2 go watch it...TONIGHT!
(No comments, please Cassie. Let's just agree to disagree)
Sat. Dec 6th-
That evening was our Ward Christmas party to celebrate the "Season of Ugly Sweaters". I sang a cheesy song with two other girls and stuck around at the end for some sweet karaoke.

Sun Dec. 7th
After church, I bolted down to Provo to join my best friend, Summer's extended family for the monthly dinner at her Aunt Betty's. It is ALWAYS a party! I was in storyteller mode that night. It was funny.
-Then I turned around and hurried back to Salt Lake for ward prayer festivities, where I was in charge of the spiritual thought. I actually shared my blog post called "How Life is like a rafting trip." People seemed to enjoy it.
-Then we had our usual Nertz night at Emily's house, while we "watched"/(listened to) the First presidency Christmas devotional that had been previously recorded.
Mon Dec 8th
FHE Christmas open house @ the Bishop's. The house was packed with people, food, fun and even caroling in just about every room...fully equipped with piano, guitar and violin to accompany. I sang at the beginning and end, but spent most of the night downstairs, having a "heart to heart" about relationships with Joe, one of my new guy friends in the ward. Apparently he thought I would be a good source for girl advice. Ha!
Tue Dec 9th
I went to see Michael McClean's "The Forgotten Carols" with my visiting teacher. I was first introduced to it by my freshman roommate, Krystal, back in the dorms and really enjoyed the music. We also used a song or two for the Spain Madrid Mission's Christmas program back in the day, so it brought back a lot of fun memories for me.
Thurs Dec 11th
I went to see the lights on Temple Square. It wasn't really a premeditated choice though. It was our ward's temple night, and due to the Tabernacle choir concert and a Jazz game, there was INSANE traffic downtown. I missed the last session of the night by 5 minutes. So I walked around by myself for a bit and enjoyed the lights. It worked out well, because I still was able to go do other work in the temple and meet up with the ward.

Fri Dec 12th
Shopping with Summer & Mariel in Provo. I wish I had a picture of the 3 of us. This isn't exactly Christmas related, but it was the funniest night ever. I considered it my Christmas gift to be with them for an evening, because it hasn't happened in a long time. The 3 of us have known each other for almost a decade now. We all met working at the MTC years ago! (Mariel & I met in 1999, Summer & Mariel met in 2001 as I was leaving on my mission, and Summer & I met in 2003 when I came home). We've had ups & downs and we have learned to love each other through them all and i can truly say these girls are two of my best friends! Let's just say I was almost in tears from the ab pain the evening laughter was causing me! I begged them to stop making me laugh, but Summer was right when she said "Oh please, Tiff, like you didn't know this was going to happen."
Sat. Dec 13th
I went to see the matinee of A Christmas Carol @ the Hale Center Theatre in Orem with a really cool guy in my ward. I love that show! If you are in Utah, please go see it. (You even have two Hale Center Theatres to choose from!) It's just one of those things everyone should do during the Christmas season. It was such a fun afternoon! Great show, great guy, great time!

Sat Dec 13th
That evening I went to see the annual Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert in the conference center. This is definitely my other favorite thing to do in Utah at Christmas time. It's hard to get tickets, but somehow my uncle gets them almost every year and I benefit from his luck. It was fantastic-as always!

Mon Dec 15th Are you still with me? if so-you're awesome!
This evening's festivities were something I had looked forward to for over a month. I find out about community events with my work connections and I was very quick to pass on the FHE idea to the ward to attend Larry H. Miller's Christmas Sing along @ Energy Solutions Arena downtown. It was AWESOME! Apparently it has been going on for 24 years. I have no idea how I never knew about it. Admission was totally free so the arena was packed with families and we all had free hot dogs, drinks, and received free stuff on top of that too (free popcorn at the movies, free Salt lake Bee's tickets, etc etc). We sang for just a little over an hour, being accompanied by a live orchestra and everything. They even had the Utah National Guard singing along via satellite from Afghanistan. It was so cool. I had a blast! The ward members asked me to choreograph actions to "Up On the House Top"..which I did, and when push came to shove, only a couple of others joined me on them. (They're big talkers) Well, I got on the jumbo tron-and they didn't. Ha! So, I guess that's what happens when you're not afraid to look like an idiot.

12 comments:
Oh come on!!!! You KNOW I have to leave a comment about It's a Wonderful Life!!!! I hate it. And there you go. My one and only comment! :)
What, you haven't watched Christmas Vacation or A Christmas Story yet? What kind of a Christmas Celebrator are you, anyway?
And you must watch The Grinch once for fun. You've had a busy (half of a ) month! Did you think the guest soloist with the Mo Tab choir was a LITTLE over the top? I mean, I know you like that theater type, but he was a BIT much. I loved the concert, though, it was great, especially Richard Gilmore's "Longfellow's Christmas." Definitely the best part.
Yay Tiffanie! Welcome back! I miss you! We should see a show together. Are there any in UT you haven't seen yet? :)
Like I said, Cassie, we will just agree to disagree (you big Scrooge/Grinch)
I want to know who you went with to see A Christmas Carol! I might need more details! I can't wait for your white elephant party Saturday!!!
hey playa!! that's pronounced gangsta, not spanish by the way. so i'm not sure if you even remember me, but this is thomas from the good ol days in madrid. i found your blog through camille's. i hope you don't mind the stalking factor. anyway, i'll be visiting much more often now that i know you accompany me in the blogging world. well merry christmas you little celebrator you! dang, spread some of the cheer. good to see you and have a great rest of the month!
You're so busy. There is so much cool stuff to do at Christmas time. I can't wait for you to come to KANSAS!
Tiffanie, I often ponder if you ever stop to breathe?..... Apparently not! So I was reading your blog, and I remember a time back in high school when I went ice skating at that same arena in Kansas City! Maybe we were there together 12 years ago and didn't even know we would end up in the same mission!.... Life is crazy
I agree with Shari. And your pants are hot. That's all!
That sounds like so much fun! You are a busy girl. All those amazing things in one month. I'd like to do one of those things just once. That is amazing! You have such great opportunities.
Love all the pictures. They are beautiful. And I love that you're still going to the Hale Theater. Classic.
Post a Comment