A couple of weeks after the passing of Matt's Mom, I received an email at work from the county's Healthy Lifestyles program. It listed a whole bunch of upcoming fitness events throughout Utah. One in particular caught my eye. The Susan G. Komen Salt Lake City Race for the Cure happening Mother's Day weekend. I DEFINITELY wanted to participate!

I thought it would be cool to put a team together with some of my friends, in memory of Matt & Heather's Mom. Surprisingly, most of the people I know who usually participate in these events, showed very little interest were not the ones to respond to the offer. My simple idea for a handful of us to run together soon turned into an amazing out pour of reunion, love and support for Matt & Heather. It was overwhelming!
I told Heather's husband about my "secret plan," mentioning to him I didn't want Heather & Matt to know, however, I would need someone's help to contact extended family members about donating to the team goal of raising $500. He was shocked and super excited about the whole idea, and knowing she would want to be a part of it- he convinced me to tell Heather. Of course, as soon as she found out, she booked a plane ticket from her home in Texas to be here in Salt Lake City with us that weekend. With Heather's help, I was able to contact their Mom's siblings scattered throughout Utah & Idaho, as well as many of her friends from the school district where she had worked for many years and retired just last year back home in Olathe, Kansas. Other than reaching the $500 donation goal, our real #1 goal, was to keep the whole thing a secret from Matt, and somehow get him to join us in Salt Lake City that weekend. It was Heather's job to get him there, and it was everyone else's job to keep it a surprise for him.
Heather mentioned to Matt that she wanted to be with him for their first Mother's Day without their Mom. He offered to just fly to Texas for that weekend, but she mentioned she wanted to "get away" and requested Salt Lake City as the destination. Having just been in Utah weeks previously for the burial, Matt was not particularly interested in returning to the Wasatch front any time soon. Because of his hesitation, Heather cracked a little bit and told him, "Matt, you're not allowed to ask any questions, but we need to be in Salt Lake that weekend." His first reaction was, "Does this have something to do with Tiffanie?" Heather reminded him that that was a question, and told him to just book the plane ticket and be excited.
Because Matt has known me pretty much our whole lives, he knew to just go with it and not ruin my fun. (He told Heather I probably had tickets for us all to see the musical "Wicked" or something).
"Or something" was right. Little did Matt know what was coming, but Heather and I were EXCITED!!! I picked them both up from the airport late Friday night and when we got back to my house, we broke the news to Matt by having him open a box. Inside the box was his Race for the Cure t-shirt, bib number, "In memory" card, and a list of 95people who had donated to his Mom's team. As a team, we successfully raised over $2600, with 27 people actually participating with "Team Barbara Ellett Family & Friends" on race day. It was AWESOME! The whole experience of the day was extremely moving. I highly recommend participating in it to everyone! Here are some pictures from the day:
Heather pinning my "In Memory" card on, as we waited for TRAX to take us downtown

Matt & Heather:

The rest of the team:

17 of the 27 people there for our team:

These guys were hilarious! They were all roommates and had come up with this "cheerleader" idea one night in their apartment. Apparently they planned to travel around the country to all of the local "Race for the Cures" to support from the sidelines. Their booty says "Chonis for ChiChis" (which basically means: "Undies for boobies")

This was just a small part of the survivors parade. It was incredibly emotional to watch the survivors (wearing pink) march in according to their amount of years they've been in remission.

The survivors all gathered together, "Amazing Grace" was performed from the grand stand, a moment of silence was had for all of those who have passed away, and about 40 white doves were released from amidst the survivors in memory of them. (Yes-There WAS a dove reserved in their Mom's memory) It was really cool!



Many people on the team were friends of ours who had grown up with the Ellett family in Kansas, however, there were also many of my local friends who were total strangers to them. I was overwhelmed by the generosity of time, energy, donation and support so many of you showed for people you didn't even know! Thank you!
I worked with Brittney's Mom for years at the MTC. Britt is pretty much my surrogate "little sister" here in Utah. I've known her since she was 8 yrs old.

I work with Tammy & Kelly here in Salt Lake City

Emily & I worked together at Heritage in Provo, and Valoree & Amy are in my ward here in SLC.

It was definitely a Mother's Day weekend never to be forgotten!
3 comments:
A very sweet tribute, Tiff.
See you tonight!
I'm SO glad that everything went so well! (Even that Matt didn't find out before hand ;) You're truly amazing, my friend.
This is SO cool! I'm sad I couldn't be a part of it, especially with everything that happened with me recently...
We really SHOULD hang out outside of this blogging-ness... Where do you live at now? SLC? Provo?
We're gonna make it happen cause I'm sure too we would have some amazingly, hilarious times together - haha!
*muah*
Post a Comment