After recently dealing with the disappointing news that my little brother, Jonathan and his wife, Cassie would be leaving Kansas and moving to Philadelphia, PA. I knew my Mom was having a hard time having all of her kids move away from the Kansas City area. (James & Krista left KS for Sacramento, CA in 2001, I left KS for Salt Lake City, UT in 2008, Kevin & Amy left KS for Las Vegas, NV this past January and now with Jonathan and Cassie leaving for Philly, it only leaves Martin & Breckann in KC with my parents). My Mom has been super sad to say the least.
For Mother's Day I decided to buy her a plane ticket to come spend a week with me. It was a fantastic idea! We had so much fun together. She was able to see some long time family friends from Kansas who moved out here to the Salt Lake valley last year. She also got to spend time with her sister who lives in Provo.

We saw a handful of shows as I treated Mom to tickets for Cirque du Soleil (I don't recommend it-overrated and too expensive), as well the 1964 Beatles Tribute band and the BYU Young Ambassadors, which was our favorite of the 3 shows.
Amy and Kevin came up from Las Vegas while Mom was here too. Amy is from the Salt Lake City area, so it was perfect timing for her to have her baby shower while Mom was in town. We all had lots of fun together! It was nice for my Mom to have a sneak peak into my grown up life as well, as I took her to a work conference with me, gave her a tour of the Shelter, showed her my office and juggled my normal work responsibilities while she was here. It was also fun for her to better understand my social life by seeing me run like crazy doing a million things everyday. (I think she was sincerely relieved to see that I don't spend my time locked in my room, knitting or petting kittens waiting for my prince to come). I loved the chance she had to attend a singles ward for the first time in her life. She had a hard time understanding that literally the 200+ people in the chapel were ALL single-no exceptions (I think she's used to the Lawrence University ward out in Kansas where there is a mix of marrieds & singles). She made me laugh. My favorite conversation of the week after attending church:
Mom: "Tiff, who was that guy on the end of the second row during Sunday School?"
Tiff: "Uhhh? I don't know? Was it Scott? Maybe? I don't remember. Why?"
Mom: "He was staring at you during the whole class."
Tiff: " Ummmm, Mom, everyone was staring at me. I was the one teaching."
I love my Mom. She's the best! I'm so glad she came to visit.
6 comments:
Ok, that picture is SOOOOOOOOO stinking cute! LOVE YOU!!
Love that you were teaching the lesson when she pointed out the guy was staring at you!
Sounds like a fun visit!
Haha! Loved your mom's comment about Sunday School... classic moms!
Your old pic together at the end is SO beyond cute!
*muah*
oh, Tiffanie....that is the picture I remember from your house in longwood...i remember being so jealous that you had a picture with just you and your mom!! Love it!
Hahahaha! That's so funny that your mom pointed out the guy staring at you while teaching. I love it! I will probably have to buy my mom a plane ticket if I ever want her to come visit me. Phoenix is just soooooooooo far away for her! (not! but she still has never come.) but that's awesome you could do that for your mom.
Your mom is the greatest! She cracks me up :) That really was a great Mother's Day present! Well done, Tiff, and I'm glad you guys had so much fun :)
Post a Comment