Part 1: "I should have known!"
As many of you, my friends and readers, know, I have a sticker chart of goals for 2009. One of those goals was to finish a half marathon. I started conditioning myself back in December and officially started my 12 week training in February, to join my oldest brother, James and run the Parkway River half marathon in Sacramento, California on May 2nd.
I stayed super dedicated to my training. I never missed a day and some days I actually did two workouts due to my responsibilities at work keeping me so actively busy. I felt great! I even had a mini sticker chart for my training schedule. (For some reason stickers really motivate me). I bought new shoes with James while I was in CA for my birthday in February and purchased some running attire with his assistance as well.
I've always hated running, but because I was so consistant about doing it, it wasn't as painful as usual, until one day my knee started hurting. Well, it wasn't exactly my knee actually. It was more the inner area just to the medial side of my knee. I ignored it. I actually continued to ignore it for 6 weeks and well into March, assuming I was just a wuss.
I went on vacation for a few days in March and decided to let my body rest during that time instead of running, cycling, swimming, etc. When I got back home and back to the gym, I was in worse pain than ever before! Rest shouldn't cause pain, so I knew something wasn't right.

I went to a sports medicine doctor who bent my leg in every which way and I felt stupid when nothing hurt. At one point he ran his finger along my knee cap and I about jumped off the table. The Xrays showed my knee cap was shifted to the left and with me working it so much, it was wearing down the cartilage and essentially was becoming bone rubbing bone. Gross! and ouch! I was told no running for 6 weeks, no half marathon on May 2nd and I needed to start physical therapy at least twice a week.
So that's exactly what I did. Let it be known that I was sad sad sad, which totally surprised me. My spirits were kicked down and I was beyond bummed to have been so excited about doing this race and then BAM! I was out. It was discouraging to even go to the gym anymore because I was so limited in what I could do.
So I started seeing the physical therapist twice a week. What a team! They totally kicked my butt! They worked and strengthened pretty much every muscle in my legs and I was exhausted after every 2 hour + appointment.

After about 3 weeks, though, Ryan (click on the previous link if you're wondering who Ryan is)...Ryan was super confused as to why I was still having so much pain. He did a re-evaluation and quickly concluded the original pain was never actually my knee. Yes, the knee cap was shifted, but that was not actually causing me pain. That was just simply how my body has been my whole life-the cartilage was fine. It was my pes anserinus tendons that were causing me all the pain. My what? yeah. I had the same reaction. All I know is that it meant I'd be in physical therapy for 3 more weeks, only this time, focusing on the ACTUAL area of pain. RYAN and his team at Hand & Orthopedic are awesome! I highly recommend them!
So on Friday May 1st (The day before my should have been half marathon). Ryan told me I was allowed to try running again, meaning that after 6 weeks of physical therapy, I had officially graduated.
So I've returned to the gym and running outside, but only sometimes. The half marathon desire quickly went away, and I'd love to get it back, but I just have this feeling my body was not built to be a runner. "I should have known."
7 comments:
Man, that has been a big pain (literally)! But I am glad you were able to get things figured out and that your knee is feeling better.
Me body not made to be a runner either. I have a pinkie toe that reminds me of this every day. And, someday--when I'm in a foot boot for 6 months on each foot in order to fix those last 2 phalanges---I will at least just be happy that my hips and spinal cord don't continue to be injured because of a DNA caused birth "defect". Ya--thinking and hoping to buy a cool exercise bike someday!!! I think I could still do that with one of those boots on my feet. I do like walking (although--this week the icky germs and asthma have yet again won the exercise war!) Maybe next week it won't be 110 in the shade, and I won't have cold enduced asthma all day--so I can exercise again.
Or--in other words--I empathize with your pain!!! Luckily--though--I've never had any desire (ever) to run a marathon of any length or type. I think I like myself too much to put my body through such misery (misery for me--may be nice for others--not for me!)
Mary P.
OUCH! And Bummer! I had wondered what happened to the half marathon. I had wanted to watch you and I thought I'd missed it. Probably best not to have done it (my knees hurt for a few weeks after the marathon - barely able to walk normal for a week and I don't have any known problems with mine). Hope you are feeling better!
Sorry you missed the 1/2 marathon. I am very glad that your source of pain was discovered and worked on. Thanks for updating your blog. I enjoy reading it!
ERIN BARKER
i'm sorry to hear about your poor knee!!
I've never tried stickers, but I'm sure they would work well for me. I just know it.
I had the same problem with my knee tendon. In fact, it happened halfway through a run with my roomie, and I could barely walk the rest of the way. And I could barely walk the next day. It was terrible. I feel you.
I found out later it was the tendon and meant I needed to do some strength training. I'd just run 3 miles whenever I wanted and it was my body's way of telling me to pace myself.
So now I try to stretch it before I run and it's been doing ok. My other knee sometimes calls to me as well. I'm glad to know my knees won't be popping off any time soon.
Running is hard on your legs. Biking is good I hear. I still get really tired and have trouble breathing when I run and I've done the 10 mile training schedule. It was hard, but it can be done.
Just remember, running is as running does. Remember.
I can't believe we have missed each other twice now! And this says 4 parts...but where are the other three!
Post a Comment